Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Books for readers

I have been scouring the internet, libraries and any where else I can to find books to interest the children. I'm focusing on preparing them to read because I think that reading is a foundation for life-long learning. I have found many different sites that offer suggestions on reading lists for different ages. I am cautious about what I read to my children and I want to make sure that the books that I am exposing the children to are appropriate for our family.

Here's a list of some of the early readers that I have found. I will add to the list as I find more.

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson (this is a great book and an easy read; I love the illustrations.)
Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik
Dragon Egg by Mallory Loehr
Mouse Colors by Jim Arnosky (Great illustrations, the only words are the names of colors. This book is small and great for small hands. My son picked this book out at the library for his younger sister.)
Butterfly by Mick Inkpen (My kids and I LOVE Kipper! There's a whole series of Little Kippers.)

No comments: