Thursday, October 21, 2010

Picky Eater

I have been blessed (at times it feels like a curse) with a very, very picky eater. Now when I tell you that this child would eat anything that was given to him as a baby it is the truth; however not anymore at about three years of age, J.W. decided that he didn't like green beans; this coming from a child who ate green beans all the time...thus started the three year battle over food. And when I say battle, that's what I mean. What started with an adversion to green beans grew into a full blown food fight. No longer does my son like any green vegetables; don't dare serve him a casserole. It has been one trial after another.

I have gotten very creative with meals. This post is to share one of the recipes that came out of the battle. I may have lost some of the battles but I have not lost the war. I'm constantly coming up with ways to get my child to eat.

This recipe came to me one morning as I was pondering the previous day's battles and came up with a great idea. My son loves rice so I thought why not cook his rice with broth instead of water. So off to the store to buy organic chicken broth and organic vegetable broth. Here's the recipe that came out of that experiment.

Chicken Rice

2 cups uncooked, long grained rice (can use brown rice)
2 cups organic vegetable broth
2 cups organic chicken broth
1/2 to 1 cup water

Put rice in pan and add both broths and water. Do not add extra salt. Cook rice according to package directions. When finished you will have a rice that is full of good, nutritious vitamins and minerals. Serve with chicken or other main course. Season to taste: add salt and pepper to taste. Optional season with your favorite spices: I used garlic powder and onion powder. My son likes Slap Ya Mama seasoning and a pat of butter.

(Note: I use organic broth because of the health benefits. I am a huge proponent of organic products.)

No comments: