Saturday, October 23, 2010

Scavenger Hunt

Because of the lovely autumn weather, the children, and I played outside. I thought of a great game to play, and it really peaked their interest - a scavenger hunt. I gave them a list of five things (a yellow leaf, a green leaf, a rock, white flowers, and purple flowers). This gave them time to explore and taught them the colors. My oldest took a pen and list and checked the things off as they found them. This also gave them an opportunity to work together (which is something that they need to learn).

I wasn't sure what to expect but they found the five items quickly and wanted to play again. I gave them a new list and they went off exploring again. The value in this game is that it engages them and they have a purpose to explore.

I also thought that this would be a cool way to share numbers and the alphabet. You could give them items that begin with A, B, C, D, E, etc. and give them different numbers of items to find like one acorn, two leaves, or three sticks. The possibilities are endless. I'm already looking forward to our next game.

Another thing that I did was give them a small container to put their treasures in. They liked the treasures so much that they brought them in with them.

We will play this again at the park and other places to see what else we can find! If you have any other ideas, please share them with me.

No comments: